Publications: Charter Schools
ELC's publications provide a general idea of the law. However, each situation is different. If, after reading the publications, questions remain about how the law applies to a particular situation, contact us for a referral or contact an attorney of your choice.
The General Assembly proposed several major charter school reforms in 2011 and 2012. While none of those reforms were adopted, many of them are included in 2013 charter school legislation.
The Law Center developed a set of principles for charter school reform and analyzed the current legislation. Examine each of the documents for information on key issues such as accountability, governance, and access.
- ELC: Charter School Reform Principles
- Charter School Reform Legislation - Education Law Center Analysis - 2013
- Charter School Reform Legislation - Education Law Center Analysis - 2012
- Charter School Reform - Education Law Center Analysis - 2011
Education Law Center Calls for Moratorium on New Cyber Charter Schools
The Pennsylvania Department of Education is in jeopardy of violating state law if it approves eight new cyber charter schools in the coming weeks, according to the Education Law Center.
Pennsylvania law requires the Department to annually review cyber charter schools for student performance problems and revoke cyber charters not meeting the student performance standards mandated by state law. Read more... | Read our Op-Ed | Cyber Schooling 101
- NEW! 10 Things Parents Should Know about Charter Schools & Students with Disabilities
- Charter Schools in Pennsylvania – Frequently Asked Questions
- Questions to Ask Before You Enroll Your Child in a Charter School
- Students with Disabilities Attending Public Charter Schools
- Appeals from Expulsion Decisions in Philadelphia Charter Schools
- Cyber Charter Schools – Frequently Asked Questions