ELC staff attorney Hetal Dhagat addressed educational barriers that impact Black and Brown students, low-income students, students with disabilities, and immigrant and refugee students in testimony to the PA Senate Education Committee on April 23, 2021. She spoke at a hearing on K-12 education reforms in Western Pennsylvania, the last of three hearings that the committee has held for different regions of the state.
ELC’s testimony emphasized these issues:
- Prioritize mental health supports for students.
- Focus on supports to improve school attendance.
- Meet the needs of students with disabilities.
- Ensure that culturally and linguistically diverse families are supported.
- Ensure fair and equitable funding for public schools.
Read ELC’s testimony here.